Exchange 2013 mailbox migration stuck syncing StalledDueToCI
So I’ve just completed an Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2013 mailbox migration and to be fair the majority of it went smoothly but it wasn’t without a few bumps along the way which I would like to share with you and what I did to get them resolved.
First off, out of the box everything went very smoothly and infact Exchange 2013 installed without a hitch, it was when I went to move the user mailboxes over that a few problems cropped up.
I thought I’d start with a single mailbox so that if there were any issues they would become apparent sooner. I left this migrating or Syncing overnight and checked in the morning, it hadn’t got any further, or hadn’t even started.
To find out the actual state of the move we need to open up the EMS (Exchange Management Shell) and type the following command:
get-moverequest | get-moverequeststatistics
So why is it Queued? Basically as per Microsoft a part of the ADPREP process is missing which doesn’t create a Security Group called ContentSubmitters so we need to create this group and assign a few permissions to them.
One that’s done right click the Group we’ve just created and go to Properties, then go to the Security Tab.
You’ll see that the Administrators Group is in the list of users there but it hasn’t got Full Control so go ahead and tick Full Control in the box below: (If you have many users in the Administrators Group then you can just add the Administrator user account instead)
Now we see that things are moving along again with the status now being CreatingFolderHierarchy Awesome…..well almost.
After about 5 minutes or so things may come to a grinding halt again as mine did when the status changed to StalledDueToCI
The CI being Content Indexing, so to solve this by turning it off on the Mailbox Database, at least while we migrate the mailboxes across, we’ll turn this back on after it’s completed.
In the Exchange Management Console, go to the Databases and here we can start by getting the Database name as we’ll need it for this next command in the EMS.
This will take a few moments but once that’s finished, the last bit is to restart three Services:
Microsoft Exchange Search
Microsoft Exchange Search Host Controller
Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Replication
Result, it’s migrating / syncing as it should be.
Just so you don’t forget, once you’ve moved all you mailboxes you will want to turn on the Content Indexing again by running the following command in the EMS (Shell)
Set-MailboxDatabase “Mailbox Database 1382310118” -IndexEnabled:$True
It probably looks worse on paper that it actually is, and if you know your way around AD, Exchange Shell and Console then this should be a breeze.
Hope this gets you out of a sticky quibble.